[CAUT] False Beats and George Winston

maxpiano maxpiano at sc.rr.com
Thu Mar 15 12:23:27 MST 2007

In a performance/theater venue, I service a Yamaha CFIII that has some fast
false beat issues on 2-3 keys in the top octave and very few false beats in
the rest of the piano.  I am told this was the piano Andre Watt used during
his (brief?) departure from the Steinway Artist fold some 15 years ago.
Nothing I have tried so far on D#7 and F7 has worked, such as tapping the
bridge pins.  The beats do not respond to pushing against the bridge pins
with a screwdriver, so I am assuming it is not an issue of loose bridge
pins.

George Winston is to be there a week from tomorrow.  This will be about the
fourth time I have tuned this piano for his concerts.  He complains about
unisons in the treble, and doesn't seem to know how to sort out the
difference between bad unisons and false beats.  I get the impression he is
not open to the suggestion that false beats are par for the course up there,
and he wants all the focus he can get at the top.  He has the habit of
carrying a bunch of rubber mutes with him and laying them next to the tuning
pins wherever he detects a bad unison, both before the concert after he has
practiced, and during the show for touch-up at intermission.  Interesting,
at intermission there may be some hairy unisons in the tenor/low treble with
no mutes laid down, but a proliferation of them by the top octave!

I am wondering if it would help, when I go to prepare the piano a week from
today, a day ahead of the concert (I'll be touching it up the afternoon of
the concert) if I would go prepared with emery cloth strips to shoeshine the
capo bar on the affected notes.  I trust I could get the strings settled
down again after the loosening.  I have also thought of Roger Jolly's
suggestion of taking the rear end of a coil lifter tool (the 3 notches for
aligning strings), setting it onto the 3 strings of a unison and driving it
sideways and back, but I don't want to risk breaking strings.

Any advice or other suggestions for quieting the false beats in the top
octave?

Bill Maxim, RPT
Columbia, SC