[CAUT] Agraffe alignment

Ron Overs sec at overspianos.com.au
Fri Mar 16 16:02:00 MST 2007

Hi Jeff and all,

A considerable number of agraffes (sets) are poorly made. With holes
which are less than ideal (for those of you who are in some doubt
about this, try cutting a couple of sample new agraffes and checking
them with a magnifying lense and a good light - you will be surprised
at the sloppy machining which often abounds). Furthermore, many
manufacturers make an ordinary situation worse by designing the plate
with a string-approach-angle to the agraffes which is guaranteed to
result in severe damage to the agraffe holes, by about the time of
the first chip-up.

Please feel free to continue the educational process by repeating the
above mentioned inspection test with a used agraffe (after the first
chip-up will do). The top-side inner string-bearing-point of the
agraffe holes will look like a mini-glacier has just been through.
With the magnitude of deformation which is routine, its no surprise
that we hear a few 'zingers' in most pianos.

I suspect that there are designers who believe that the tonal quality
will be improved by having a steep string approach angle. Its the
only scenario which I believe could be properly attributed to the
practice. But if an appropriate length of free-string is used,
between the agraffe and the first string support, a high angle is not
necessary.

Ron O.

--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY