[CAUT] False Beats and George Winston

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Mar 18 13:35:56 MST 2007

> I'm having a lot of success with tapping bridge pins with a nail set and small hammer.   This morning on a CFIII with one particular string in the high treble, tapping the bridge pin did not help the situation.   Lifting the string at the capo help clean it up though...I lifted all 3 strings.
>
> Seeing as it is Sunday, I will now testify that I rarely seat strings at the bridge anymore...The gospel according to Ron has slowly seeped in...and tapping bridge pins or CA works without damaging the bridge cap.
>
> David Ilvedson, RPT

Hi David,

One more time. Tapping bridge pins does exactly the same thing
as seating strings and is at least as damaging to the cap and
as temporary. If the screwdriver on the pin doesn't clear up
the beat, that ain't it, and you need to look at the capo or
something else. If the screwdriver test helps, CA the sucker
if you absolutely have to have it clean. Test first before
doing ANYTHING to ascertain where the noise is coming from.

Ron N