[CAUT] Rubbing out laquer finish

Willem Blees wblees at bama.ua.edu
Thu Mar 22 16:36:29 MST 2007

Susan

Under normal conditions soap and water and/or Windex with soft cloths
or Bounty will get rid of fingerprints and smudge marks. But
apparently the problem Paul is describing seems to be more than just
fingerprints and dirt on the piano. He says the the finish is
smearing. That is why I receommended Naptha. Yes, it is not the
greatest to deal with, and there should be adequate ventilation in the
room. But naptha should will solve the problem, short of refinishing
the piano.

Wim

Quoting Susan Kline <skline at peak.org>:

> I saw a furniture guy rubbing out a Steinway finish using dilute
> Murphy's oil soap and 0000 steel wool. However, if one did this
> much, one would be through the finish on the edges and corners
> in no time.
>
> I don't like using toxic stuff like naphtha (if you breathe it,
> you won't need to drink it for it to be inside you.) For really
> dirty old music department pianos, one can make an amazing
> difference by using a barely damp shop towel and a lot of
> elbow grease. Okay, it's not perfect, but it is sure better,
> and one can do it over and over. I just throw the shop towels
> in the laundry till they're pretty disgusting, then they
> are rags.
>
> Susan Kline
>
> At 09:13 AM 3/22/2007, you wrote:
> > >The prints just smeared into a haze.  What else can I try?  pw
> >
> >Looks like you need to remove the waxy coating, the fingerprints
> >will go with them. I use a dilute solution of Simple Green
> degreaser
> >available from Hardware stores.  About 1 part SG to 4-5 parts h2o.
> >
> >Add the SG to the water, if you add water to SG, it bubbles up.
> >
> >--
> >

> >Regards,
> >
> >Jon Page

Willem Blees, RPT