[CAUT] rubbing out lacquer finish

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Fri Mar 23 05:37:03 MST 2007

John,  These are more than fingerprints. However, I like the idea of the
blue shop towels rather that 0000 steel wool.  The finish is 75 years old.
I think I'll try the Simple Green diluted w/h2o.  It sounds the "kindler
and gentler" method.

I'll let you all know how it turns out.  BTW I used the Arledge bass
strings with Wally Brooks natural felt hammers and I couldn't be more
pleased! :>) What clarity and power.  It sounds like a B!

Thanks everyone for the help!

Getting a little less "green" as a CAUT.

Paul

Jeff Farris <Jfarris at mail.utexas.edu>
Sent by: caut-bounces at ptg.org
03/22/2007 04:02 PM
Please respond to
College and University Technicians <caut at ptg.org>

jminor at uiuc.edu, College and University Technicians <caut at ptg.org>
cc

Subject
Re: [CAUT] rubbing out lacquer finish

>I use warm dish soap water with paper towels to remove oily finger
>prints, followed by a light "rinse" with water and paper towel,
>followed by drying, with paper towels. All motion is done with the
>"grain" of the finish with SOFT paper towels. I prefer BOUNTY brand.
>
>John Minor
>University of Illinois

The blue Shop Towels are great for this, too. Very strong, yet very soft.
--
Jeff Farris
Piano Technician
mailto; jfarris at mail.utexas.edu