[CAUT] Hammer Suggestions

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Fri Mar 23 09:52:09 MST 2007

Rex,

A few years ago I rebuilt an old Steinway K (with the dredded double
flange system) and I used Ronson's on it.  The customer didn't want
bright, but she still wanted volume.  Of course they needed to be doped
with hardener quite a bit way down low and middle shoulder areas, but the
end result was clear and powerful without being offensive even in the shop
with cement floors, metal cabinets, etc. Another choice could be the
Renner blue ultra lights.  They are very easy to work with. Or, Wally's
Natural Felt hammers are great as well.  They, too were very easy to work
with and forgiving if you over-do something. It's all in what you like to
do in prepping.  I don't know many hammers that simply just get hung and
go.  Good luck!

Best,

Paul

"Rex Roseman" <rosemanpiano at netzero.net>
Sent by: caut-bounces at ptg.org
03/23/2007 10:46 AM
Please respond to
College and University Technicians <caut at ptg.org>

<caut at ptg.org>
cc

Subject
[CAUT] Hammer Suggestions

I have been asked to quote on replacing the hammers in a Steinway Upright
(45) serial 512*** that is used in a dance studio. I am seeking advice and
opinions on two things.

1.       The dance studios are big new rooms lined with mirrors, windows
and cement block walls with dance floors and sheet metal roofing, meaning
that there is not a particle of sound absorption to be found. The reverb
rate is measured with a calendar. What advice can anyone give about the
best sound to try to get from the piano? I had originally thought of a
bright piercing sound that would cut through the sonic clutter, but after
talking with the accompanists, they like the fuller, rounder sound of the
new Boston 118’s that are in some of the other studios. (The Boston’s’
have never been voiced and are as is from the dealer.) I am interested in
hearing from anyone who has had experience working in this type of extreme
environment.
2.       Considering the information above, what brand of hammer could be
suggested for this piano. I am not keen on getting hammers from Steinway
as at a recent PTG meeting, their head tech guy said that the upright
hammers are delivered needing extensive needling to be usable. From my
studies, I am not sure that this is best for hammers or something that I
want to commit myself to doing if there is a better hammer out there to be
had.

Thank you for your help.

Rex Roseman
University of Akron, School of Dance