[CAUT] hammer softener

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Fri Mar 23 11:32:01 MST 2007

I've now got so many good suggestions, I'm going to conduct an experiment:
 I'll find the brightest practice room I can and pick out the four
brightest of the bright in the upper-mid treble section.  I'll try
Pianotek,   fabric softener and water,   steam,   and rubbing alcohol and
then check them out the next day.  I'll let you all know what wins!!

Have a great weekend!!

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Paul

Alan Crane <alan.crane at wichita.edu>
Sent by: caut-bounces at ptg.org
03/23/2007 12:32 PM
Please respond to
College and University Technicians <caut at ptg.org>

College and University Technicians <caut at ptg.org>, caut at ptg.org
cc

Subject
Re: [CAUT] hammer softener

At 09:46 AM 3/23/2007, Paul T Williams wrote:

>Does anyone know what is in the Pianotek Hammer softener?  I was
>wondering if there is some homemade stuff that would work as
>well.  They only sell it in 8 Oz bottles and until budgets increase
>(ha ha) to replace lots of hard, worn, really really bright hammers
>et al, I need to use this stuff.

Hi Paul,

Several years ago, right before steam became popular for
softening/voicing, there was a substantial interest in fabric
softener based formulations for softening hammers.

I still use the stuff sometimes.
Mine is home made; don't know what Pianotek's formulation is.

The formula I use is:

Downey Free* (no dyes, no scent) fabric softener, and isopropyl
alcohol (70%) in a 1/8 ratio.
(That's one part softener / eight parts alcohol)

* the particular brand is (I think) not important

Regards,

Alan B. Crane,  RPT
School of Music
Wichita State University