[CAUT] hammer softener

Phil Bondi phil at philbondi.com
Fri Mar 23 13:21:27 MST 2007

Paul, depending on how the hammer was hardened in the first
place will determine, in my experiences, how well steam
will work.

IF the hammer was hardened with acetone/keytops, then steam
will work just fine.

IF the hammer was hardened with lacquer, then steam is not
as effective.

Also, the iron used in steaming is very important. I gave a
technical on this subject to our chapter, and one of the
techs was trying to steam with a modified burn-in knife. No
wonder steam didn't work for him...

I use #905 - Schaff - P.41

-Phil Bondi(Fl)