[CAUT] add capstans to tray?

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sat Mar 24 06:33:36 MST 2007

Hi Jon

I suppose I should have mentioned that the picture was taken with the
dampers being held up by the sostenuto pedal so as to show the capstans
clearly. In rest position these rest on the trayfelt.  So if they are
set to dead level, and the tray is of consistant height all along its
length... then the levers are all the same height in relation to the
keys. Ergo... if you set samples to go at half blow and adjust all
capstans level to these samples... then you've assured individual key
damper timing.

With this in mind it is easy to see that the capstans will indeed have
an impact on timing when adjusted afterwards, as they essentially raise
or lower the rest position of the damper lever.

So if you leave them alone after the initial leveling, and do your
sustain pedal damper lift adjustments with the wire screw as usual...
you have both precise individual damper timing and simultaneous lifting
with the right pedal.

Capish ?

Cheers
RicB

    RIc,
    That still does not make sense to me. Damper lift is timed
    by fixing the top flange to the wire at a certain point.

    The capstans have no impact on key timing only tray lift since the
    damper is lifted by the key at the front of the underlever.

    The capstans are adjusted for the tray to lift the set evenly.
    It makes no difference if the capstans are on the underlever or tray.
    I prefer the capstans to be on the tray so that a tight capstan will not
    stress the flange center.
    --

    Regards,

    Jon Page