[CAUT] add capstans to tray?

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Mar 24 06:28:38 MST 2007

> Except that adjusting a lever-mounted capstan also will change sostenuto
> tab and key-lift timing, whereas a tray-mounted capstan will not.

Only if the lever mounted capstan contacts the key end (is
there a piano that does this?). If it contacts the tray,
neither one will affect key lift timing. That's set first, and
has nothing to do with the capstans. If you set the key lift
timing reasonably accurately, which isn't that difficult, the
sostenuto tabs will go where they're supposed to. The capstans
are for tray lift, and that's all.

>Your
> stress point is well taken, especially since it looks like that capstan
> would make it somewhat more difficult getting to the flange screw, if
> you needed to remove it.  On the other hand, maybe the added weight
> helps damping.  But, yeah, I'm not getting it still, so far.
>
> David Skolnik

There's nothing to "get".
Ron N