[CAUT] Capstans to Tray

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Sat Mar 24 14:53:34 MST 2007

I have tried using the tray to set underlever height, as suggested by Yamaha.
I find easier when installing the dampers if the underlevers rest on
a hard surface
such as The Spurlock gage or the tool I use, a large dowel (hand
railing with a bolt installed), it fits into a small space in my tool
box.

It saves me the trouble of constantly having to step on the damper pedal
to regulate the dampers. Just lift the underlever with your finger
and check with
the gage. It might be an expedient way for a new factory install and probably
is good for Yamaha style capstans where they will compensate for variations
in tray felt thickness by aligning the underlever tips with a straight edge but
too many variables involve in the field (different techs).

Once the dampers settle, unevenly; it is far easier to tweak the capstan
for pedalling than it is to adjust the underlever for regulation.

Real world situation, set underlever to proper height; adjust capstan
for even lift.

And as David pointed out, just another extra step.  But I can see the
benefit to
use this procedure to rough them in at the beginning of the
regulation procedure.
--

Regards,

Jon Page