[CAUT] Capstans to Tray

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Sat Mar 24 16:29:46 MST 2007

    I've been puzzling over a segment of this, and maybe my confusion is now
cleared up. "Set samples and then adjust the capstans to a straight edge."
I've been picturing these underlevers, unregulated and hanging helter
skelter, and I'm putting a straightedge under the capstans and making them
in line with the straightedge. Complete nonsense, says I. Something is
missing here.
    But I think I now see that what you do is set samples (only tightening
those wires, the others all being loose), then raise the lift tray to meet
the samples (and block it in place), then adjust all the other capstans,
which are resting on the lift tray, so that the bottoms of the underlevers
are in line with the straightedge (the capstans are raising - or lowering -
their respective levers to be in line, with the lift tray as the "gauge" or
base, and the samples as the reference). Now you tighten all the other
wires, and proceed with standard twisting, tweaking and whatnot.
    All this descriptive language is giving me a headache, reading and
writing it, but please verify that I have the picture more or less right, or
let me know I'm still out in left field. What I have described at least
makes sense (to me). Whether it's the most efficient way to go, and whether
or not it addresses what matters most is another question. I confess I give
marked preference to even lift from the tray, and efficiently tweaking that
using a capstan makes life better IMO <G>. As long as it's tweaking it, not
rough regulating it.
Thanks,
Fred Sturm