[CAUT] Capstans to Tray

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Sun Mar 25 19:30:47 MST 2007

On 3/25/07 7:14 AM, "Andrew Anderson" <andrew at andersonmusic.com> wrote:

> I've seen that tapered damper timing come from the factory on some
> pretty nice pianos.  I understand it is a matter of taste and am
> curious if that taste is associated with certain types of music?
>
> Andrew Anderson
Hi Andrew,
    Just about any kind of music. The idea is that the pianist is able to
clear the treble pretty clean, and leave the bass harmonies in place, by a
very subtle "not quite full" release of the pedal. Or by a very quick full
release. It is very common to want to keep the bass note(s) sounding after
your left hand fingers have left those keys, but at the same time to clear
the treble and leave room for changing harmonies. I would say that virtually
every highly accomplished pianist would want this feature, as long as it's
subtle.
    An even damper lift functions the same way to an extent, as the bass
dampers take longer to "kill" their strings. But a subtle bit of taper makes
life easier on the pianist - less touchy flutter of the pedal, more likely
to have success in achieving the effect. Especially important with an
unknown piano, where you haven't felt exactly where the pedal releases the
strings (different weight, different spring tension in trapwork, different
lost motion). The pianist needs to judge very precisely where in the lift of
the pedal dampers are coming in contact, and be able to raise the foot to
that point, or not quite, or beyond, with utmost precision. Referring
especially, obviously, to a touring artist in concert hall. Also obvious: if
some treble dampers are lifting ahead, they won't be cleared, hence spoiling
the effect. You definitely don't want taper in the other direction. And
evenness is king.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico