[CAUT] FW: CAUT Position Announcement (NEC)

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri Mar 30 02:09:36 MST 2007

You know guys, I have never ever seen a job description for any kind of
a job at all that wasn't laced with a certain degree of hype, overkill,
and a good deal of wording that was used to fill out a page enough for
it to look respectably long enough.  The thing is, they are looking for
a piano guy with people skills to be in charge of their piano
department.  Its not difficult to see that.  Nor is it difficult to
understand in the real world if one is interested at all by such an
add... one always... and I mean always calls to find out more
specifics... and if one actually gets the job... one adjusts the job
description, and ones own personal style to meet each other enough so
that all are satisfied.  Or, of course one gets another job.

Seems to me like here we have case where a University has understood the
need to take the job of Piano technician very seriously. I see a
whooooollle lot of positives there that I would think CAUT, and PTG
officialdom and membership would be very eager to encourage and build
further on.  Perhaps the sense I get of some of these posts is wrong....
but many if not most of the posts on this theme strike me as kinda ...
well... not exactly encouraging in the sense mentioned. CAUT has fought
long and hard for this kind of thing.

jaft

RicB

    On Mar 28, 2007, at 1:42 PM, Jeff Tanner wrote:
     > Actually, this part:
     >
     >>  ...weekend and evening attendance will be required.
     >
     > is what would run the salary up if they were talking to me.

    It was that same part that got me wondering, what kind of "director"
    can't manage resources to cover various events in reasonable fashion
    without the need for "required attendance?" It is enough to make one
    speculate about whether it is really a position as _director_.

    Kent