[CAUT] bummer

Jeff Tanner jtanner at mozart.sc.edu
Wed May 2 14:49:27 MDT 2007

On May 2, 2007, at 8:48 AM, Elwood Doss wrote:

> Hi Wim,
> That's a shame!  The U of A just does not know what they are losing.

Absolutely.  Whether it is a budget problem or whatever, UA is making
a huge mistake.  Wim has been very dedicated to that program.  I
would be very interested in knowing the "why" here.  I know that from
the beginning there was a budget issue there.  I hope for Wim's sake
that is the cause for this.  If it is a job performance issue, I
don't know what else the faculty at UA expects they are going to get.

> One of our problems is we work with, and I'm making a broad
> generalization here, university musicians...moody, self centered,
> jealous, picky, demanding.

Yes, they live in a very distant world from the rest of us.  Not so
much the moody, self-centered and jealous part of being a musician.
I understand that.  It isn't the picky and demanding part.  You get
that in all fields.  It is the disconnected from reality part that
spending so much life in academia imparts.

Music can be like a drug.  It is habit forming.  Addictive.  Being
addicted to music can cause one to be disconnected from reality in
much the same way that addition to drugs or alcohol are.  I look at
many of the people I work with and wonder how they could possibly
survive in this world without academia.

Watch them.  They tend to be clueless about what has to happen around
them to enable them to live their dreams.  And they expect everyone
else to give up life and family to further their pursuits, because
that is what they have done.

I also sent Wim a private email, but will reiterate here, Wim, that
you and your wife will be in mine and Paula's prayers.

Jeff

Jeff Tanner, RPT
University of South Carolina