[CAUT] Hamburg Steinway

Porritt, David dporritt at mail.smu.edu
Mon May 7 05:56:56 MDT 2007

Israel:

Interesting story!  I'd love to have a closer look at how you educated
the pianists to choose based on qualities of the instrument rather than
some perception.

We have 2 concert instruments in our recital hall, a 1983 NY D, and a
2000 CFIIIs.  There are those who can pick their instrument based on
what they are playing and the condition of the instrument on a given
day.  There are others who can't get past the fact that one is not a
Steinway.

Last week Leon Fleisher was here again and while he is a Steinway artist
he again chose the Yamaha for his concert.  The sponsoring concert
promoters paid extra to have both pianos prepared for him since had had
chosen the Yamaha on 2 previous occasions and wouldn't be here until a
couple of hours before the performance.

In reality, with most pianists the instrument is chosen based on some
perceived quality more often than real qualities unless there is some
obvious disparity in the instruments.

dp

David M. Porritt
dporritt at smu.edu