[CAUT] Hamburg Steinway

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Mon May 7 08:57:21 MDT 2007

On May 7, 2007, at 5:56 AM, Porritt, David wrote:

> In reality, with most pianists the instrument is chosen based on some
> perceived quality more often than real qualities unless there is some
> obvious disparity in the instruments.

	Yes, very true. And those perceived qualities are most often those
one senses at the keyboard, not necessarily those that project to the
hall. Personally (putting on my pianist's hat), I find that I will
"make a connection" with one instrument more than with another, for
whatever reason. It might be something to do with regulation, feel of
the keyboard, might be something to do with voicing. In any case, it
has to do with the experience of making music, a very subjective
feeling, not necessarily an objective notion. If the piano is
"inspiring" I am more likely to produce an "inspired" performance.
This may well be tightly connected with particular pieces I will be
playing, and with specific passages where I want some effect. On
which piano does it work best?
	And, frankly, that sense of connection can be a very flighty thing.
A piano I love one day may well be "Hohum" tomorrow. A piano I find
strident one day is nice and brassy the next. A mellow, silky piano
becomes dull and lifeless. What has changed? I have.
	Are pianists idiots? Yep, we are <G>.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico