[CAUT] Hamburg Steinway

Wimblees at aol.com Wimblees at aol.com
Mon May 7 14:33:51 MDT 2007

In a message dated 5/7/07 12:18:53 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
jorge1ml at cmich.edu writes:

What  is the life of a soundboard?
I recall some techs  believe soundboards lose most of their crown and
resiliency after about 40  years due to string pressure.  (Even without humidity
damage).  If true,  a twenty year old piano should have deducted 1/2  the cost of
replacing the soundboard plus all action and cosmetic work needed  to restore
to new condition.  If plates, finishes, cases, legs and other  componets have
a lifespan, that should be deducted also.  My guess is it  would end up in
that 60=70% range.
-Mike

Mike

There is a reason why a used instrument is not worth as much as a new one.
And part of that reason is the wear and of all the components.

As far as what some tech say about the soundboard, I'll leave that up  to
those who know a lot more about it than I do. Personally, I've heard some 50  -
75 year old pianos (rebuilt, but with the original board), that sounded  as
good as a new one.

Wim