[CAUT] charge for time?

Wimblees at aol.com Wimblees at aol.com
Mon May 7 14:47:40 MDT 2007

In a message dated 5/7/07 9:52:34 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
sandstromsw at hotmail.com writes:

I was just wondering if most of you charge for your time on the road to  get
to a job? If so do you charge from the time you leave your shop? Do you
charge the same rate as your normal labor charge? Or do you only charge for
mileage? This would be for jobs outside my normal area where I currently  only do a
mileage charge. With the cost of running a vehicle going up all  the time I
was thinking of redoing what I charge. I was interested what most  of you are
doing. Thanks.

Steve Sandstrom

There are several different ways you can do this. One is to charge a flat
fee to go different stages of mile driven, like mark suggested. The other way is
 to figure by how long it takes you to go there. What I do is kind of know
what  area I want to cover for my "normal" fee. But if I have to go outside that
 area, I charge so much per mile to the customer's home.

Depending on the kind of car you drive, you might want to charge as much as
$1.75 or even $2 per mile from your house to the customer's  house. That's one
way, not round trip. You should charge that in  addition to your tuning fee
and any repairs, if it is only one to three  customers. But if you can get 4 or
more customers in the same area, on the same  day, then don't charge anything
extra.

I know some people don't do it that way, but that's how I do it.

Wim