[CAUT] Are there many piano techs who are veterans?

John Ross jrpiano at win.eastlink.ca
Sun May 13 07:27:36 MDT 2007

I was in the Canadian Navy for 25 years.
A couple of the ships I was on, had gas turbine engines, (think 707 Jet
Plane).
My mess was next to the engines, and since there was no insulation, the high
pitch whine was quite loud.
My problem is, I can still hear that high pitch whine, (I got out the Navy
in 1981), and it is tinnitus.
They have tested my hearing, and it doesn't give an indication, of anything
other than age related deterioration.
I think being a piano tuner, has given me the ability, to compartmentalize
the noise, and for the most part I disregard it. The only place I notice it
at times, is when I get a beat around A in the 5th octave, but since I have
an ETD, there is no problem.
It also seems more prevalent, if I am tired or sick.
At the Convention in Providence, someone was doing research, and quite a few
of the piano tuners took them up in their offer of testing. Does anyone
know, if the results of these tests on piano tuners, was ever published?
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
jrpiano at win.eastlink.ca