[CAUT] Meantone (Which?)

Andrew Anderson andrew at andersonmusic.com
Mon May 14 13:54:04 MDT 2007

The question is: do they know what they want?

Modified meantone will probably do if they don't.

Andrew Anderson

PS the first of the following makes simple what
the comma
is.<http://www.users.dircon.co.uk/~oneskull/3.6.04.htm>A
Beginners' Guide to Temperament by Stephen Bicknell.
Provides an overview of the historical development of temperaments.
<http://pages.globetrotter.net/roule/temper.htm>Understanding
Temperaments by Pierre Louis.
Another introduction to temperaments with a more detailed explanation.
<http://www.kylegann.com/histune.html>An
Introduction to Historical Tunings by Kyle Gann.
Authored by a professional musician, composer &
professor of music at several colleges who isn't
enamored with the modern equal temperament.
<http://rollingball.com/TemperamentsFrames.htm>Temperaments
Visualized by Jason Kantor.
This site is quite helpful in answering common
questions, such as which temperament a composer
was likely exposed to. It provides a chart which
visually demonstrates the time the composers
lived and the temperaments that were then
current. Clickable links provide highlights of different temperaments.

)