[CAUT] Agraffes and dampers

Charles K. Ball ckball at mail.utexas.edu
Tue May 15 14:23:31 MDT 2007

Dear Colleagues,

There is an excellent text called The Well-Prepared Piano, by Richard
Bunger (The Colorado College Music Press, 1973), which offers many
helpful instructions for performers.  Actually, it is the player who
often needs the most "preparation".

After a couple of generations of so-called "Extended Techniques", I
have concluded that these practices are here to stay.  At one time I
took a prophylactic and obstructive approach to this type of music
making.  It didn't seem to help much.  I also denigrated this type of
music making, which also seemed to be counter-productive.  The
students and faculty simply ignored and circumvented the piano
technicians.  Several years ago I decided to take a different
approach, and give training and support to the students and faculty.
I have been invited to speak to our composer's forum, and have
frequently worked with individual students who had to do preparation
for their recitals.  I would now estimate that 80% or 90% of those
who need to perform these practices come to me first for guidance,
and sometimes for mutes and screws and bolts.  At UT we do not have
dedicated instruments for extended techniques, and cosmetic or other
damages are rare indeed.  In general, I would have to say that the
University Technician will have a happier career if they love music,
are dedicated to musical education, and cultivate a collaborative,
rather than an adversarial, relationship with the faculty and
students.

It is not appropriate for us to officially pass judgment about the
value of different kinds of music making and performance.  It is our
job to support performance and instruction and to repair the
damage--and to point out any unfortunate consequences, preferably in
advance.  Even traditional performance practices take a toll on
instruments, and it is very difficult to keep institutional
instruments in pristine condition at all times.  It is frustrating
when damage does occur, and I have produced more than my share of
tantrums and angry memos over the past 40 years, but we do have to
remind ourselves that institutional pianos are somewhat like a NY
taxicab, compared to a home piano, and have a limited life span.

Regards,
Charles

--
Charles Ball, RPT