[CAUT] Killer half-octave

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed May 16 08:04:42 MDT 2007

> Our NY D, (1983) has developed – in the last year or so – a killer
> half-octave from about A#5 – E6.  I’ve added some mass to the bridge
> right under C6 and that helped /a little /but the problem remains.  I’ve
> been searching through the archives this morning checking for any
> further heroic measures I could take within the confines of my budget.

Hi Dave,
Adding mass usually doesn't help killer octaves much. It's a
stiffness problem. I'd say go ahead and try the "resonator"
(brace). If it doesn't help this piano that much, there is
another piano in the system that it will help, so while you'll
be out some time, the cost of the hardware won't be wasted.

Ron N