[CAUT] Killer half-octave

Michael Jorgensen jorge1ml at cmich.edu
Wed May 16 09:05:09 MDT 2007

David,
    I assume you¹ve tried super diligence for just those weak notes on
everything action, hammer, restringing, and bridge pin, tone bell, to mask
this soundboard weak spot.
    Warning Evil improper and surely controversial tricks ahead that might
help:  Tune as many rear duplexes found in the tenor and mid-range as can be
tuned to the exact pitches of the weak killer octave notes using Pitchlock
couplers or by adding weight to the string segments thus bringing their
pitches down.  Phase out dampers by making top few dampers work poorer and
poorer until the top one is almost as bad as no damper.   For weak notes
only: Increase stiffness of the shanks by painting them with thin CA glue.
Increase the blow distance and keydip slightly for more power.  Add
graduated and even weight to hammers using flexible blobs of glue hidden in
the coves and a have tighter center pining and tighter rep springs.   Don¹t
be too diligent on power producing things in other areas of the piano but
super diligent for those weak notes.     Replace just those seven
hammers/shanks with whatever hammers  produce most power and voice to match,
even if it looks ugly.
-Mike Jorgensen