[CAUT] Killer half-octave

Chris Solliday solliday at ptd.net
Wed May 16 15:52:33 MDT 2007

Hi David,
 Just to add my two cents I have many Ds, Cs & Bs  and one M with GTTRs and they have always improved things in the the direction you would like. The new installation instructions are much improved over what we used to have. You should not ignore some of the "evil" suggestions, including Wapin, I would add channeling hammershanks right down to and through that section (personally I do the whole piano tapered by weight). This will stiffen the shank and also reduce the shank weight making the hammer more prominent (theory).  Also try changing hammer (strike)weight, up first of course and then down unless up works.
Bob Grijalva recommends doing all your voicing tricks first then setting the resonator but I have had success doing some of each and back and forth. But for getting the sound out of the box and putting more air under the tone (improving carry) nothing has impressed me more than these devices. This provides the best foundation for balancing registers and adjusting brillance I have ever encountered short of a new well set Steinway board (I do find them once in a while).  I have had similar experiences to Eric W the more the piano "needs" the greater the result. You might even reasonably expect miracles in your situation.
 Chris Solliday