[CAUT] Killer half-octave

Bob Hull hullfam5 at yahoo.com
Wed May 16 21:40:51 MDT 2007

--- Chris Solliday <solliday at ptd.net> wrote:

, I would add
> channeling hammershanks right down to and through
> that section (personally I do the whole piano
> tapered by weight). This will stiffen the shank and
> also reduce the shank weight making the hammer more
> prominent (theory>  Chris Solliday

I guess channeling is the same as tapering?  Are you
saying a tapered or thinner shank is "stiffer"?
Please explain.  Is it because there is less weight
and weight adds to the whipping effect as inertia is
being overcome? Are you tapering beyond (in addition
to) the tapering that comes in a set of tapered
shanks?
Bob Hull