[CAUT] killer shanks

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sat May 19 11:48:10 MDT 2007

It might very well be that thinned shanks help especially with harder
hammers on low tension/light soundboard designs.  My own theory is that
hammer resilience (bounce) matching string tensions in some way is critical
for hammer/string contact time in terms of how partials develop vis a vis
the fundamental.  With a poorly matched harder hammer on a light assembly,
anything that assists in the effective resilience of the hammer shank
assembly will be a benefit.  With softer hammers that are a better match for
the string scale/soundboard interface, a thinned shank will not be
necessary.  Similarly, with higher tension scales and accompanying stiffer
soundboard assemblies, a thinned shank on a firm and heavier hammer won't
reap the same benefit and might, in fact, be a detriment.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com