[CAUT] CAUT credential vs. academic program?

Jeff Tanner jtanner at mozart.sc.edu
Fri Nov 2 11:07:59 MST 2007

On Nov 1, 2007, at 6:12 PM, Paul T Williams wrote:

> Jeff,
>
> Since we don't have a time machine to test that, then yes, it is
> "impossible to measure"  How do you know what to do if the pianist
> says " it's difficult to control the pedaling during the pianissimo
> section of the development in the second movement" or "the presto
> section of so and so's piece is nearly impossible to acheive"? This
> kind of musical knowledge is crucial to make the artist happy.

Umm, I'm not hearing anything that requires musical knowledge.  I'm
hearing a description of mechanical problems that require no
knowledge of the music.  Even though I do understand the musical
references, I'd still have to ask the artist to demonstrate exactly
the problem she's having.

> Some musicians attempt to put things in layman's terms, but many
> don't. They do a lot of assuming that we understand their speak. On
> the other side, some musicians try to understand our lingo and many
> do, but most don't.  The more education on both sides of the coin,
> the better the end result will be.
>
> At the very least, we should understand musical nomenclature even
> if we can only play chopsticks. Diversity of learning involves both
> education and life experiences. Where do you/we draw the line?
> There is no "formula" to do this...  Do you want a clear-cut
> solution? That too, is "impossible". What is your "perfect
> solution" , then?  There is none, but we have to start with
> something. If an RPT/ CAUT is to be something "more desireable"
> than an RPT status, then different standards should be established.
> So, how would you determine what that is? Or, should we just go
> with the status-quo for universities to mearly know that RPT's have
> reached a great level of piano technology and leave the education
> learned elsewhere by the wayside?
> Paul

Look, I haven't said that having some musical knowledge doesn't
help.  Sure it does.  But it doesn't require a degree in music.
Basic music terms are taught in high school band and chorus or in
church choir, or in private lessons.  You can teach yourself enough
about music by checking out a book from the library and listening to
some recordings to do what we do.

Jeff

Jeff Tanner, RPT
University of South Carolina