[CAUT] Why a Toolbag Rather Instead of a Toobox/Case

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Mon Nov 5 10:04:47 MST 2007

At 09:23 AM 11/1/2007, Michael wrote:
>My decision to not continue with the aluminum cases was not just the
>lack of quality but the concern for front doors, furniture, etc.
>A hard case raises a liability issue since the case and its
>attachments(hinges, d-rings,rivets, corner tabs) are just that, hard
>and can therefore scratch doors, furniture, pianos.

I think this point is very well taken. My present kit is soft and
cushy and mild-mannered, and can easily be left on a sofa or chair
without leaving traces of its visit.

After years of carrying a pretty big and heavy tool kit, I'm moving
in the opposite direction. I was using a salesman's sample case,
bought at Staples, which had lots of compartments and a shoulder
strap and plenty of room. One day I thought about all the various
things in that kit, like the center pinning gear, the punching box,
etc., and asked myself, "how long since I used this?" and "how often
do I need this?" When the answers were often two or three months, and
sometimes two or three years (like the little bag with the tuning
lever tip wrench and the punch to hold upright tuning pins while
hammering them deeper) ...

So I changed to a soft little laptop case (also bought at Staples).
It still has a few compartments and a shoulder strap, but the space
is quite limited, so that more *stuff* doesn't keep wandering into my
kit. I took everything I imagined I wasn't using at least once a
month, and put it into a briefcase which lives in the trunk of the
car. Once in awhile it means an extra trip down a lot of stairs, but
on balance my shoulder and knees appreciate the difference.

Susan Kline