[CAUT] Why a Toolbag Rather Instead of a Toobox/Case

Jeff Tanner jtanner at mozart.sc.edu
Mon Nov 5 12:49:51 MST 2007

On Nov 5, 2007, at 12:04 PM, Susan Kline wrote:

> At 09:23 AM 11/1/2007, Michael wrote:
>> My decision to not continue with the aluminum cases was not just
>> the lack of quality but the concern for front doors, furniture, etc.
>> A hard case raises a liability issue since the case and its
>> attachments(hinges, d-rings,rivets, corner tabs) are just that,
>> hard and can therefore scratch doors, furniture, pianos.
>
> I think this point is very well taken. My present kit is soft and
> cushy and mild-mannered, and can easily be left on a sofa or chair
> without leaving traces of its visit.
>
> After years of carrying a pretty big and heavy tool kit, I'm moving
> in the opposite direction. I was using a salesman's sample case,
> bought at Staples, which had lots of compartments and a shoulder
> strap and plenty of room. One day I thought about all the various
> things in that kit, like the center pinning gear, the punching box,
> etc., and asked myself, "how long since I used this?" and "how
> often do I need this?" When the answers were often two or three
> months, and sometimes two or three years (like the little bag with
> the tuning lever tip wrench and the punch to hold upright tuning
> pins while hammering them deeper) ...
>
> So I changed to a soft little laptop case (also bought at Staples).
> It still has a few compartments and a shoulder strap, but the space
> is quite limited, so that more *stuff* doesn't keep wandering into
> my kit. I took everything I imagined I wasn't using at least once a
> month, and put it into a briefcase which lives in the trunk of the
> car. Once in awhile it means an extra trip down a lot of stairs,
> but on balance my shoulder and knees appreciate the difference.
>
> Susan Kline

I've recently switched to an even more simple bag.  I found an 11"
black canvas doctor's style bag at Harbor Freight (I think they put
it on sale for $3.99?), and just put my tuning and regulating tools
and my accutuner (carefully wrapped in a soft cloth) in it.  The
aluminum case stays behind the seat of my truck now.

Jeff

Jeff Tanner, RPT
University of South Carolina