[CAUT] Why a Toolbag Rather Instead of a Toobox/Case

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Mon Nov 5 13:13:31 MST 2007

That's what I use, too. a canvas shaving kit kinda thing.  I got tired of
lugging a 40 lbs case around.

Paul

Jeff Tanner <jtanner at mozart.sc.edu>
Sent by: caut-bounces at ptg.org
11/05/2007 01:49 PM
Please respond to
College and University Technicians <caut at ptg.org>

College and University Technicians <caut at ptg.org>
cc

Subject
Re: [CAUT] Why a Toolbag Rather Instead of a Toobox/Case

On Nov 5, 2007, at 12:04 PM, Susan Kline wrote:

At 09:23 AM 11/1/2007, Michael wrote:
My decision to not continue with the aluminum cases was not just the lack
of quality but the concern for front doors, furniture, etc.
A hard case raises a liability issue since the case and its
attachments(hinges, d-rings,rivets, corner tabs) are just that, hard and
can therefore scratch doors, furniture, pianos.

I think this point is very well taken. My present kit is soft and cushy
and mild-mannered, and can easily be left on a sofa or chair without
leaving traces of its visit.

After years of carrying a pretty big and heavy tool kit, I'm moving in the
opposite direction. I was using a salesman's sample case, bought at
Staples, which had lots of compartments and a shoulder strap and plenty of
room. One day I thought about all the various things in that kit, like the
center pinning gear, the punching box, etc., and asked myself, "how long
since I used this?" and "how often do I need this?" When the answers were
often two or three months, and sometimes two or three years (like the
little bag with the tuning lever tip wrench and the punch to hold upright
tuning pins while hammering them deeper) ...

So I changed to a soft little laptop case (also bought at Staples). It
still has a few compartments and a shoulder strap, but the space is quite
limited, so that more *stuff* doesn't keep wandering into my kit. I took
everything I imagined I wasn't using at least once a month, and put it
into a briefcase which lives in the trunk of the car. Once in awhile it
means an extra trip down a lot of stairs, but on balance my shoulder and
knees appreciate the difference.

Susan Kline

I've recently switched to an even more simple bag.  I found an 11" black
canvas doctor's style bag at Harbor Freight (I think they put it on sale
for $3.99?), and just put my tuning and regulating tools and my accutuner
(carefully wrapped in a soft cloth) in it.  The aluminum case stays behind
the seat of my truck now.

Jeff

Jeff Tanner, RPT
University of South Carolina