[CAUT] CAUT credential vs. academic program?

Willem Blees wimblees at aol.com
Mon Nov 5 16:21:22 MST 2007

Jeff:

This is kind of off the thread but you said:

“Someone who holds a music degree has merely demonstrated that they can absorb material long enough to regurgitate it on an exam, and that they have shown some degree of incremental improvement in musical ability over a 2 or 4 year period, that they have attended a certain number of performances per term and have been present and accounted for in at least one performing ensemble each term.  It has not made them musical if they were not already.”

I hope that’s not indicative of the music program there at USC.  If it is, then I see your point.

dave

Jeff

I agree with Dave. From what you're saying, "Someone who holds a music degree has merely demonstrated that they can absorb material long enough to regurgitate it on an exam" it appears that you seem to think that not just an education in music, but any major, is worthless. Why go to college for anything if all you have to do is read a couple of books and get on the job experience? I'm sorry Jeff, but for some reason, you missed the purpose of what a college education is all about.

Wim