[CAUT] CAUT credential vs. academic program?

Jeff Tanner jtanner at mozart.sc.edu
Tue Nov 6 12:40:59 MST 2007

On Nov 5, 2007, at 5:47 PM, David M. Porritt wrote:

> “Someone who holds a music degree has merely demonstrated that they
> can absorb material long enough to regurgitate it on an exam, and
> that they have shown some degree of incremental improvement in
> musical ability over a 2 or 4 year period, that they have attended
> a certain number of performances per term and have been present and
> accounted for in at least one performing ensemble each term.  It
> has not made them musical if they were not already.”
>

> I hope that’s not indicative of the music program there at USC.  If
> it is, then I see your point.

That's all any degree program is.  Where the difference lies is in
the natural talents of the student, and that isn't planted by any
degree program -- it is planted at birth.  I don't care who the
instructors are, what kind of resources the institution has or what
kind of reputation it has.  You cannot turn a non-musical person into
a musical one by sending him/her to college, and one who is born with
music inside them will always have it whether they pursue a music
degree program or not.

True musicality cannot be taught.  Only technique can be taught.  And
if any music background helps a piano technician, it would be
musicality - not technique.

Jeff

Jeff Tanner, RPT
University of South Carolina