[CAUT] CAUT credential vs. academic program?

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Tue Nov 6 00:25:27 MST 2007

I've been reading these posts as I can and get the increasing sense that
there is really no incompatibility between the two concepts that are put
against each other in the subject line.  I think just about everyone
agrees on the value of more experience and education. The only real
tangible disagreement seems to be about whether a form of accreditation
along with needed exams for said is desirable/worthwhile.

The goals of furthering ones education and experience have far more in
common with the goals of accreditation then they differ in.  An
accreditation simply takes that whole process one step further and seeks
to confirm/ascertain a certain degree of skill that comes from the
pursuit of education and experience.  I dont really see a good reason
NOT to do this.

It is true that job situations vary greatly and some schools simply
don't require more then a tech with rudimentary skills and experience.
Its also true that many schools dont know or dont care about the issues
involved in reasonably good maintainance of an instrument park. Indeed
thats at least the brother part of the motivation for all this discussion.

An attractive and viable CAUT credential can represent to universities a
person who has shown themselves to have the knowledge, practical skills,
and experience to head up a demanding department.  It can serve as a
milestone of achievement for technicians to reach for.  It can further
the goals of making universities more aware of just who the <<piano
guy/gal>> is and what really is expected of him/her.  It does not
de-value anyone without it....quite the opposite really in the end.

I agree with Jim below here.  If you are going to first give some form
of credential stamp of approval... you most certainly should have some
time of experience requirement. And you should have a good deal other
requirements as well.  Otherwise the thing will become quickly a useless
piece of paper which probably will do more damage to CAUT then good.

Cheers
RicB

    I was mainly talking about RPT needing a time/experience requirement.
    You're right about the supply/demand though. You get the best you can
    get... That being said even our elusive "CAUT Credential" should have
    some kind of time requirement IMO. I can't see some green tech getting
    the credential with only one year in the business. But today I'm just
    blowing hot air. Pay me no mind...

    Regards,

    Jim