[CAUT] CAUT credential vs. academic program?

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Tue Nov 6 00:36:41 MST 2007

Is this really the only goal here ?  Or even the primary goal ?  I would
think at best it should be seen as a by-product end result type of
goal.  The main thrust of any CAUT credential in my humble opinion
should be to increase the awareness of what a school should really
require from a technician. What it really requires in terms of
capabilities to reasonably maintain and run a piano technology
department, and what the benefits for doing so well are.  Any
administrator who understands whats involved here will understand
quickly we are talking about a fairly high value person, and understand
that such folks will insist upon appropriate compensation for their
efforts.

THAT is PRECISELY why any such credential needs to be demanding enough
reflect a broad based and high level of experience. If it does not
reflect a person who is <<in demand>> by the very nature of aquired
skills and experience... it will be of marginal worth at best and
counterproductive at worst.

It needs to function in the minds of school administrators as a mark of
quality.  Something they can use not only to take care of their
instrument needs... but to hold up to the world around as a mark of
their own dedication to quality.

Cheers
RicB

    The whole original idea behind the CAUT credential was to push salary
    levels up. The question was (and is) how do we get institutions to value
    the skill level needed to adequately perform the duties expected. This
    won't necessarily be for entry-level positions, though if you can push
    the salaries higher for the senior techs it should help the entry-level
    salaries as well. Most job postings still seem to cling to the "3-5
    years experience in the field" requirement no matter how demanding the
    job may be.

    Eric