[CAUT] CAUT credential vs. academic program?

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Tue Nov 6 06:58:28 MST 2007

Was anyone in the 1989 marketplace calling for a set of guidelines for
effective institutional piano maintenance?
Have the Guidelines been of any value since they were written, or was it all
a wasted effort?
Even assuming no outside market for a CAUT credential, there may be an
inside market of technicians who would like an advanced curriculum for
professional development, and a set of exams to evaluate one's skills.
I don't think anyone attains mastery of our field in a one or two year
school program, and I would like to see PTG develop advanced study
guidelines for people who want to learn more than entry level skills.
Whether this would eventually lead to some kind of advanced certification
would be a question for the future.
Ed Sutton