[CAUT] WT intonation/violin

Ken Zahringer ZahringerK at missouri.edu
Tue Nov 6 13:36:10 MST 2007

That's a great story, Ed, and so illustrative of how musicians can respond.
I'll bet that if you had talked to them before the concert and suggested
tuning the piano in other than ET, you would have seen the same looks of
panic and terror that I have seen in that situation.  But the results speak
for themselves.

Last year one of our voice students did a baroque recital with harpsichord
accompaniment.  Before one of her rehearsals I told her that the harpsichord
was tuned in "a slightly different manner" that might be more appropriate to
her program (Young's Representative WT).  It was a real soft sell, and I
told her I would change it if she didn't like it.  After the rehearsal, she
was ecstatic.  "It was so much easier to sing to!"

If we can just get them to try it. . . .

Regards,
Ken Z.

--
Ken Zahringer, RPT