[CAUT] CAUT credential vs. academic program?

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri Nov 9 01:46:42 MST 2007

Beethoven pretty much did......................
les bartlett

I beg your pardon.  Beethoven learned from his father for the first
years of his life, In 1787 he was sent to Vienna to further his
education by Prince Maximilian Franz among other things meeting and
being influenced by Mozart himself.  Again in 1792 he was sent by a
benifactor to Vienna to study there. To quote a short biography....

    "At Vienna, the young musician took lessons with Haydn, then with
    Albrechtsberger and Salieri. He captured the attention of, and
    astonished, Vienna, with his virtuosity and his improvisations on
    piano. In 1794, Beethoven composed his opus 1, three trios for
    piano. The following year, Beethoven made his first public
    performance at Vienna (an "Academy") whereby each musician was to
    play his own work. Then followed a tour: Prague, Dresden, Leipzig
    and Berlin before leaving for a concert in Budapest."

I certainly wouldn't want to claim Beethoven had little or no musical
education out loud to anyone in our faculty or administration. no no no
no no... not a good idea at all.

Cheers
RicB