[CAUT] CAUT credential vs. academic program?

Jeff Tanner jtanner at mozart.sc.edu
Fri Nov 9 12:25:37 MST 2007

On Nov 8, 2007, at 9:15 PM, Willem Blees wrote:

> Sorry, Jeff, no matter how you slice it, music cannot be learned on
> your own, out of book, without guidance.
>

> Wim

I'm sorry, Wim.  That sounds like you never tried it.

On Nov 9, 2007, at 8:33 AM, rwest1 at unl.edu wrote:
> The democratic model aims to educate large numbers of people
> without particular regard to each separate individual.  Depth of
> learning sometimes suffers in order to be able to spread the
> education to millions of people.  That's our current public
> education system.

Exactly.  It isn't an efficient system for developing the strengths
of individuals.  It is a one-size-fits-all-model.  Everybody absorbs
and regurgitates the same material.

>   The tutorial model aims to educate individuals.  Depth of
> education and individual attention is key.  Home schooling
> represents this trend today.

Which is also how the Masters were educated.  Maybe not at home, but
in a setting that was customized to the strengths of each individual.

Jeff

Jeff Tanner, RPT
University of South Carolina