[CAUT] CAUT credential vs. academic program?

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Nov 11 14:35:41 MST 2007

> Most (not all) of the stuff I hear and read from some of these "self
> taught" guys (and Mr. N is one of the worst in that regard)  suffers
> precisely from this lack of varied perspective. They see things from one
> pair of eyes - their own. Never engaging in the give-and-take that a
> true student/teacher relationship is based on, from which both learn.
> Perhaps that's why some of these folks have such a jaundiced view of the
> educational establishment - they seem to universalize their own
> miserable experience which may have been caused in part by their own
> unwillingness to perhaps listen to someone else's voice but their own...
>
> Israel Stein

I see that I've missed out. Had you been around to guide and
inform me throughout my miserable mislead life, I might have
eventually learned something worthwhile and become
knowledgeable and competent at what I do. Pity it's too late
for me to take up the Stein way of thinking at this point. I'm
already ruined by too many rational cause and effect connections.

And I still have met more than a few people who became quite
accomplished musicians without formal instruction of any kind,
which is what this was all about.

Ron N