[CAUT] CAUT credential vs. academic program?

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sun Nov 11 18:28:54 MST 2007

Sorry Israel, but I think your comments are very out of line with the kind
of professionalism you so often espouse.

While I can't and won't speak for Ron, I took his meaning to be very simply
that education doesn't necessarily confer expertise and neither does lack of
formal education mean a lack of expertise.  The world is full of individuals
who hide behind degrees or "factory training" and who, much as you may not
like to admit, consider their training to be the last word.  Not every
mentor knows what he or she is talking about and the trade is replete with
certain mythologies often perpetuated by the very individuals who are
supposed to know better and if not, at least be willing to ask the
questions.  Not everyone has a Bill Garlick to rely on for training.
Similarly, there are many in the trade who lack formal training and are
highly skilled and innovative individuals.  While I may look at the source
of the degrees hanging on the wall in my doctors office, it's probably more
important to know if he graduated first or last in his class.

While we can all benefit from education and training in terms of the number
of dead ends we may go down or the speed with which we learn our craft,
there is neither a guarantee that education and training will create
competence or, more to the point, lack of it suggests that we lack
competence.

I have very little formal training in Piano Technology and what I do have
certainly didn't get me to where I am in the field today.  Most of what I
learned I learned on my own, reading articles, seeking advice and input from
others with greater expertise than I had, to a lesser extent attending
classes, conventions and conferences, experimenting, doing and redoing.  In
all honesty it may have been a slower process than attending, say, the North
Bennett School to gain my foundation.  But continuing self-education in any
field is necessary.  It is especially so in ours where formal avenues are
not as available.  I certainly don't feel any great lack in my understanding
or expertise in most areas of piano technology for having the gone the route
that I did.  The number of people who call me for advice on a variety of
subjects and the interest people have in the presentations I have given
would suggest that others feel the same way.

While Ron certainly has strong opinions about things, so do I, and so do
you, for that matter.  You certainly don't hesitate to express them and I
think you don't expect a personal assault for doing so.  Interestingly,
while you criticize Ron for what you think you know about his attitude about
education, he is a prolific contributor to this list on a variety of
subjects, some conventional, some not.  He has published articles in the PTJ
and taught classes at conventions.  He has invested a great deal in
soundboard and other design issues and shares his experiences generously.
He has acknowledged his debt to others in the field who have also worked
hard to push the piano industry forward.

While I agree that there are many in the field who are not particularly
competent, some of those are highly experienced and highly credentialed.  I
don't think you can blame them or the totally untrained incompetents for
what you view as low pay and low esteem in which people in this trade are
held (something I don't agree with, btw).  A highly skilled technician is of
tremendous value to a highly skilled musician with a high set of demands.
Most piano owners don't fall into that category and so have no way to really
assess your value.  If you want to raise the esteem and pay of those in the
trade, spend your time educating piano owners, they're the ones who write
the checks.  More to the point, that there are incompetents in the field (as
there are in any field) makes those who are competent even more valuable.
I'm certainly not selling myself short to my customers, and I have more work
than I can handle.

While your work in continuing education is appreciated and of great value to
those entering and continuing in the trade, I think you should be careful
about interpreting the discussion about education in terms of your own
personal investment and biases.  I think you owe Ron an apology, and a
public one at that.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com