[CAUT] CAUT credential vs. academic program?

Fred S Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Mon Nov 12 17:35:03 MST 2007

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 12:40:15 -0800
  Alan McCoy <amccoy at mail.ewu.edu> wrote:
> I haven't been following this thread closely at all,
>except to see that it has generated a lot of heat and comment.
>
>FWIW, I think the best, though certainly not the cheapest
>nor the most practical, way to measure or evaluate a CAUT for a
>credential is an on-site "inspection" like a NASM visit. What better way to
>evaluate someone than to see, feel and hear their body of work? And to see the
>context within which they work - the budget, the number and quality of
>instruments, the tools and workspace, the details of the contract or employment
>they work under.
>
> Neither testing nor class attendance come close as evaluative tools.
>
> My 2c worth.
>
> Alan

     I like the concept, but there are at least two major
problems:
1) Cost. You would need to send at least two people on
site, I would think. Much of the time this means round
trip airfare and per diem. I'd guess that $500 would be a
very conservative estimate of direct costs, assuming the
evaluators were donating their time. Who would pay that
much?
2) Only works for a caut currently employed as such, and
is limited to the conditions at the institution.
a) It makes more sense to have a credential someone
entering the field could get. Or somebody with caut
experience, but currently un-cautified.
b) The conditions can easily be so bad that no evaluation
is possible. I know my first 11 years were that way.
Average of 5-6 hours per piano per year. All I did or
could do was tune (not nearly enough) and "fix what was
broke."

Then there is the minor problem of coming up with a way of
quantifying, of making an "objective" decision. I think
this concept is a good one, but more from the point of
view of evaluating a program than evaluating the chops of
an individual.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico