[CAUT] breaking strings

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Tue Nov 13 06:48:22 MST 2007

Karen,

Do you know if the capo bar was reshaped before restringing?  It could
either be too flat or too sharp or too grooved.  You could try a smaller
guage too.

My two cents...

Paul

"Karen Lindsley" <36keys at gmail.com>
Sent by: caut-bounces at ptg.org
11/13/2007 03:41 AM
Please respond to
College and University Technicians <caut at ptg.org>

"College and University Technicians" <caut at ptg.org>
cc

Subject
[CAUT] breaking strings

I have a customer with a Doll and Sons small grand piano.  It was
recently restrung using the original string gauges and pattern.  The
upper treble is very sensitive to tuning and strings have broken
during two of the last four tunings at intervals of six months.  I
went to tune it again and another string had broken since my last
tuning.  Any ideas?  Can I change the string size and get more
elasticity out of the strings?
Thanks for your input.
Karen