[CAUT] CAUT credential vs. academic program?

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Tue Nov 13 00:35:41 MST 2007

    The other problem is the newer technician with skills but no "body
    of work".   I like the idea of CAUT certification classes that could
    be held at PTG Conventions.

    David Ilvedson, RPT

I agree as far as it goes.  This goes along the lines of Richard Wests
thought I believe.

The basic premise is still the desire to find some form of accreditation
that will enhance the general status of the "piano technician" in the
minds of school administrators. I still maintain that if this is to be
done then it has to be worth its salt. If not... administrators will see
through it quickly and the whole effort may well end up being counter
productive.

A series of classes, seminars, what-have you no doubt will constitute
what amounts to a form of formal education, but there it is. Candidates
that feel better off on their own could be given the curriculum and go
for it if they wish... but any accreditation will need some form of
verification.... which means testing.

This all pushes the whole thing into the realm which has given rise to
so much protest here by some about formal education in general... but
there it is.

If someone can find a way of contriving some form of accreditation that
will deserve and receive the kind of respect required to actually cause
an enhancement of the CAUT in the university world...  well then I'd
like to hear about it.  But so far I see nothing out there except calls
to keep on the present path.

Cheers
RicB