[CAUT] CAUT credential vs. academic program?

Jeff Tanner jtanner at mozart.sc.edu
Tue Nov 13 10:11:06 MST 2007

On Nov 13, 2007, at 9:18 AM, Jon Page wrote:

>> Bottom line for Universities is that they will pay
>> more only if they feel they are getting enough return.
>
> I see that I missed a perfectly good opportunity
> to stay out of this discussion but where some positions
> don't even require RPT status what good are merit badges?
>
> Raise the bar on RPT for your desired recognition. In this
> association, RPT should be reclassified to Apprentice status
> and after the 'tests' a Journeyman, with Craftsman as the
> next step to Master Craftsman. (bring back Allied Tradesman).
> If the term RPT had real teeth to it there wouldn't be a need to
> even have this discussion.
>
> It doesn't matter how many clinics or seminars you attend,
> if there is no budget for salary increase those certificates are
> simply wallpaper.  If the organizations thought your services
> were worth more, they'd offer more. But then if no one would
> accept the positions, a larger salary would be put on the table.
> Supply and demand economics.
>
> Any job opportunity has some sort of coping skills attached.
> Time management and schmoozing are not marketable items
> for a labor-oriented trade.
>
> Speaking of time management...
> I better pound some bridge pins in...
> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Jon Page

Unfortunately, Jon is absolutely correct.  We are paid what we are
paid already because that is what human resources departments are
finding the market to be.  That market value comes with the
assumption that we are already supposed to be equipped with the large
palate of skills we are trying to identify with an endorsement.

As long as qualified piano technicians are willing to accept the
current pay levels, that is all we will be worth.  And what is
happening out there is that there are very qualified individuals who
are accepting lower salaries because they are in unique positions of
being able to live on lower incomes.  If we were to equate what is
happening out there, it would be like one RPT charging half or less
for tuning prices than everybody else, just because he or she doesn't
require as much money to live on.

It is free market economics.  But salaries are what they are because
CAUTs are too willing to lowball their worth.  It has nothing to do
with qualifications or certifications or the lack thereof, and it has
nothing to do with how good a concert technician we are.

Guilty as charged.  I made the mistake of taking a lower salary
during the first year until my skills had been evaluated with
promises of salary improvement if everyone liked my work.  Nine years
later, we are finally starting to get the the salary to where it
should have started.  That's my fault.  I honestly didn't know any
better at the time.  But that salary improvement is not coming about
because in the meantime I became an RPT.  It isn't coming about
because everyone likes my work.  That was established in year one.
It is coming about because I am threatening to leave because the
university job is keeping me from being able to properly provide for
my family.  The amount of moonlighting I'm having to do to compensate
is compromising the quality of my work at the school, and I have made
no secret of that.  So far, that is all that has worked.  Flashing my
RPT certificate didn't do a darned thing.  Getting rave reviews from
visiting artists and comments along the lines of "I'd fly him to
Oklahoma to work on my pianos," or "your pianos are better than at
Eastman" had nothing to do with it.  They don't want to lose me
because of the quality of work I've shown.  But I've had to be a real
pain in the behind around here to get raises.  But at the same time
there will be a brick wall in the process.  At some point, the dean
is going to say, "no, I can get another technician for less than that."

Because he's probably right.  Somebody else will be willing to come
in here and sign up to work for half of what they're worth.

Jeff

Jeff Tanner, RPT
University of South Carolina