[CAUT] CAUT credential vs. academic program?

Wolfley, Eric (wolfleel) WOLFLEEL at ucmail.uc.edu
Tue Nov 13 12:37:56 MST 2007

"It is free market economics.  But salaries are what they are because
CAUTs are too willing to lowball their worth.  It has nothing to do with
qualifications or certifications or the lack thereof, and it has nothing
to do with how good a concert technician we are."

Jeff,

This is part of the point of trying to establish a CAUT
credential...it's how we value ourselves as well. Perhaps people will be
less likely to accept low salaries if they have made the effort to
upgrade their skill level and know what a value they can be to an
institution. A CAUT credential should be a bargaining chip when
negotiating beginning salaries.

If you are so down on the current situation, why do you want to accept
it as the status quo? All your arguments against a CAUT credential seem
to go this way. You can't look at the present conditions and say what we
are attempting won't work. It's kind of like saying, "I can't go to
school...I don't know how to read." We are trying to change the way
institutions value piano technicians.

Guilty as charged.  I made the mistake of taking a lower salary during
the first year until my skills had been evaluated with promises of
salary improvement if everyone liked my work.  Nine years later, we are
finally starting to get the the salary to where it should have started.
That's my fault.  I honestly didn't know any better at the time.  But
that salary improvement is not coming about because in the meantime I
became an RPT.  It isn't coming about because everyone likes my work.
That was established in year one.  It is coming about because I am
threatening to leave because the university job is keeping me from being
able to properly provide for my family.  The amount of moonlighting I'm
having to do to compensate is compromising the quality of my work at the
school, and I have made no secret of that.  So far, that is all that has
worked.  Flashing my RPT certificate didn't do a darned thing.  Getting
rave reviews from visiting artists and comments along the lines of "I'd
fly him to Oklahoma to work on my pianos," or "your pianos are better
than at Eastman" had nothing to do with it.  They don't want to lose me
because of the quality of work I've shown.  But I've had to be a real
pain in the behind around here to get raises.  But at the same time
there will be a brick wall in the process.  At some point, the dean is
going to say, "no, I can get another technician for less than that."

Jeff, perhaps they haven't told you to take a walk precisely because you
have upgraded your skills and made them realize how valuable those
skills are to their program. What you have described above is precisely
what we all must do to improve salary levels. You're contradicting
yourself when you say that your getting "rave reviews" from visiting
artists had nothing to do with your raise, and yet "They don't want to
lose me because of the quality of work I've shown."

State systems don't recognize merit, they go mainly on job descriptions
and are supposed to align job responsibilities with salary levels. If
your job description says you are a mechanic that works on pianos, they
will equate your position and salary to the state car-pool mechanic. If
your job description says you direct and manage budgets and inventories,
advise and consult with faculty, supervise student help, prepare
instruments for visiting artists, etc, etc, they'll be comparing you to
supervisory or managerial positions. In the past you've said that you
are the only piano technician in the state system...you've got to
convince them to look at other state institutions for comparisons.
That's what they did here for me. In the end, they had to create a new
position in which to put me because I didn't fit anywhere else.

But I've had to be a real pain in the behind around here to get raises.
But at the same time there will be a brick wall in the process.  At some
point, the dean is going to say, "no, I can get another technician for
less than that."

In a state system nobody is going to give you anything unless you push
for it. It's completely up to you. You have to keep pushing until you
find that brick wall...if you've a proven track record and good
comparisons for salary equity adjustments, you will have some leverage
to move the brick wall as well.

Eric

Eric Wolfley, RPT
Director of Piano Services
Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music
University of Cincinnati