[CAUT] Interesting afternoon

Porritt, David dporritt at mail.smu.edu
Wed Nov 14 11:23:43 MST 2007

Monday afternoon I spent an interesting 90 minutes working with our
artist-in-residence in preparation for a recital he is giving on Friday.
We were in our recital hall and he went back and forth between the two
concert grands - a 1983 Steinway D and a 2000 Yamaha CFIIIS.  He'd play
some Ravel on the Steinway then the same on the Yamaha.  Brahms on the
Yamaha then on the Steinway.  He kept going back and forth playing the
same things which gave a wonderful opportunity to compare the sounds of
the instruments.  He liked both instruments (which helps!)  The sounds
were noticeably different, but both of us liked the sound of each
instrument.  Both good - but different.  At the end (he really dislikes
having to choose, he'd rather be told "here, play this" because he can
make anything sound good) he chose the Steinway for this program of
Brahms, Ravel & Debussy.

I'd just never had the opportunity to listen to two different
instruments played by a true artist going back and forth over that long
a time period.  It was very educational.

Oh, I also learned what that short stick is for on the lid prop!

dave

David M. Porritt, RPT

Meadows School of the Arts

Southern Methodist University