[CAUT] CAUT job description vis-a-vis salary level (was:

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Wed Nov 14 02:02:39 MST 2007

Yes... a good point and opens a whole side of issues relative to the
area Jon Page's note pointed at.

I think its important to remember that not all schools are going to run
what coincides with the kind of music school some of us have in mind for
a <<CAUT certified>> tech.  We havent even gotten so far as to define
that yet in list discussion tho perhaps committee is well past that
stage.  For my part I envision a person who is to head up a piano
technology department at a larger school that is dedicated to high level
of serious music education.  Clearly a person holding such a
certification would be overqualified for the Flathead Valley Junior
College.  Ok... thats overstated but you get my point.  Other schools
situations may vary.  Administrations can relate to their music
departments in every way from indifference to just plain thinking the
whole department should be dropped.  Or they can be very serious minded
and just not really know how to best develop things. Or... they may just
have a different model for how to go about things then we think is best.
Besides all that... Chairs change.... these things are not static.

But just so.  A CAUT certification is nothing anyone would be forced to
have... nor would it be something anyone directly ties salaries too.  It
would be just another tool to work with in the job of enhancing our
status.  And if its formed well and utilized well... it could be a
valuable tool.

Cheers
RicB

    Very good.
    My supervisor knew I had good managerial skills, and still they
    decided to
    outsource my job.

    Ron Poire

    former technician