[CAUT] credentials for a university

Willem Blees wimblees at aol.com
Wed Nov 14 15:50:50 MST 2007

We all want universities to hire only qualified piano technicians, and pay them a respectable salary. While there are some schools that respect what we do, for the most part, most universities don't see the importance of piano maintenance, and would just as soon not pay anyone to take care of the pianos.

They also could care less about the quality of the piano tuner, with some schools willing to hire a high school drop out with just 3 years of experience. Unfortunately, they will find someone like that, primarily because there will?always be piano tuners?who fit that description who are more than willing to work for less than what they should make, just for the sake of being able to say, "I am the piano tuner for >>> university."

But this is not just the case for piano tuners. Universities have no trouble filling low paying?interim positions with highly qualified professors because those professors want to have on their resume that they worked at >>>>university. The difference, of course, is that these interim positions often lead to tenure track positions, with more pay, and greater prestige.

I don't have an answer as to how or what?we can do to get school administrators to consider our profession more than just piano maintenance personnel. But we should give it our best shot.

Wim