[CAUT] CAUT credential vs. academic program?

Jeff Tanner jtanner at mozart.sc.edu
Thu Nov 15 16:39:42 MST 2007

On Nov 14, 2007, at 9:53 PM, ITUNEPIANO at aol.com wrote:

> Has anyone compared CAUT income to that of a full time tuner?
> Figure full time tuner gross income of 80,000 per year, minus auto
> expense of 14,000, minus health insurance expense of 8,000,  minus
> advertising expense of 10,000,  minus misc expense of 5,000 equals
> 43,000.   Full time tuners don't net that much either, IMHO.  And
> don't get me going on store wages/working conditions!
>

> Bob Maret, RPT
> Piano Technician

Woah, now.

Don't minus that auto expense just yet.  To make it equal, don't take
that auto expense out until after taxes.

And I don't know many techs doing $10K of advertising.  Most
established guys don't have to do any around here, but we keep a line
in the yellow pages.  I have magnetic signs on my truck that cost
about $75 for the pair, and that's the best return on advertising
dollars I have.  Triple Y/P response.

If you take F/T CAUT health insurance, gotta add back about $4200,
which comes out of our paychecks plus a required additional 6.5% for
state pension.  Fed and State Income Tax comes out based on GROSS
income, as do our FICA and Soc Sec.

Oh, and employees can't deduct tools or anything else like that until
it gets to around $2K a year.

So, that's why we have to moonlight.  To get tax deductions like you
guys do.

Jeff Tanner, RPT
University of South Carolina